Sunday, September 19, 2010

My feet and hers

I knew my feet expanded during pregnancy. But, as flip flop season is coming to a close, I have been putting on my "regular" shoes again. And it seems they're too small. My feet have not shrunk back down to size. I have a fierce shoe collection (if I do say so myself), and may be a little heartbroken about this situation. Enough about me. On to the important one...

Kinnie has discovered her feet this week. When in the correct position, she just stares- especially at her left foot. She distinctly grabbed for it twice yesterday with her left hand (might we have a south paw on our hands???). Her control of her hands is improving, though she manages to smack herself in the face dozens of times every day. It is a hilarious and painful process to watch, all at the same time.

Kinnie has also figured out how to pull herself to sitting when she is in a semi-reclined position, which she often is when she is in our laps. This makes her a slightly more dangerous little thing, as she could roll herself off my legs at any time.

A laugh is coming. I know it is. She opens her mouth in a wide smile, and I can almost hear it.

We're going through a phase in which Kinnie is quite sure I am the only person who can comfort her when she is upset. Though I am flattered, I also hope she will be over this soon. If she is upset, tired, or hungry, and is someone else's arms, she amplifies her upset.

My anxiety, in general, is improving. I don't want to jinx anything, but it appears that Kinnie is past her colic. Now, when she cries, there is a discernible reason. It is a relief, and I really wonder if there is a need for more of a support system for parents of babies who suffer from colicky symptoms. It is such a difficult, heartbreaking, and isolating thing.

She is also sleeping through the night. Like, 10-11 hours every night since she was 10 weeks old. It has been so nice for me not to have my sleep broken up by a midnight feeding. It is now time for her to move into her own room, which tugs at my heart strings a bit. I know we will all sleep better, but knowing she is right there is somewhat comforting. I can awaken at night and just stare at her.

I am looking at going back to work in the next month. A good job possibility has dropped into my lap. It is part time, counseling adolescents involved in the criminal justice system, working for a supervisor who I very much respect and enjoy. It is a bittersweet thing. I think I am not meant to be a "stay at home" mom. As much as I have cherished the time with Kinnie, I get lonely. It is hard to believe that she is coming up on twelve weeks. It really does just keep getting better.

Brian had a great job interview this week, and we are very hopeful that soon he will be working one full time job, that will earn as much as he is making working 50-60 hours per week right now. He deserves it, and it will be so nice to have him home more.


No comments:

Post a Comment