Saturday, May 7, 2011

Dawn



Dearest Granddad,


When the phone rang at 6:00 this morning, I knew what the news would be. We had been waiting, as patiently as possible. With it came a slew of emotions, and incredible gratitude.



You died this morning. Your kids were with you, and all of us were, too- at least in spirit. You and your beautiful bride of 62 years created an incredible family, an incredible life, one which I am grateful to be a part.



I can imagine you scoffing a bit at the thought of all of us being sad. I realized this morning that you wouldn't want us to be mourning the loss of you. But, it is impossible not to. You were kind, funny, ornery, caring, stubborn, loyal, strong. You were admired, respected and very much loved.


I remember when I first met you. You and Grandy had driven to Evergreen to visit Kevin and family. You were a young 69. Brian and I had been dating for just under one year, and somehow, even though I was but a teenager, we connected. Your warmth was there from the beginning, and I have carried it with me since.


Some of my favorite memories with you include all the times I tried to match your wit. You were full of it, but I think I got you a few times. And, of course, I will never forget visiting you in January. You had changed a bit. I know it was hard for you to talk, but your smile and laugh were still vibrant. The fact that you met my daughter, your Great-Granddaughter, means the world to me. As we said goodbye, you held our hands and said, "thank you for coming."


Thank you for coming, Granddad. Thank you for your presence. Thank you for being so giving. Thank you for all the laughs, and the smiles which shine on now through these tears. Thank you for being a man we can all look up to. Thank you for those blue eyes, which I see every time I look at Kinnie.


We will carry on. We will watch after Grandy, and do all we can to make all her days cheerful. We will live the rest of our lives with you in our hearts, and we will make you proud. We will miss you.


I love you very much,


Kelsey

No comments:

Post a Comment