Monday, June 11, 2012

More lessons

Bri and Kinnie just left for the day. Brian has to work, and Kinnie is going to daycare. She could stay home with my mom and me, but we think it's probably good for her to maintain some kind of routine. Brian came up to our room to wish me a good day, and I heard Kin heading up the stairs, too. I said, "Kinnie, come give Mommy a kiss," to which she responded "I don wanna give Mommy kiss." Bri then said, "Can you say 'I love you Mommy'?" Kinnie's reply? "I don wanna say I wuv you Mommy." Think I have a two-year-old???

Had I only required one surgery, today would mark the halfway mark in my recovery. Instead, I'm one week in. I try not to focus on that, but there are definitely moments in which I feel the frustration. I miss "normal life." Yesterday, my brother asked what I want to do the most. And the answer consists of the little things. I hate not being able to go out for walks. I miss giving Kinnie her bath. I would like to clean my house (okay, maybe "like" is a little strong on that one). I want to be able to help Brian with all the tasks that he has taken over. He is working so hard, and I know he is tired. I can't wait to go to the zoo, and experience the new things that Kinnie is doing everyday. Since my first surgery, 3 weeks ago, she has been to the pool, her first Rockies game, the aquarium. I am so glad she is doing these things and is not held back by my recovery- I just want to be a part of it.


It's funny how life's experiences often bring lessons in gratitude. You can bet that when I am healed, and am able to participate, it will mean that much more to me.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, now I really know what you mean. The time slips away quickly and it's hard when you don't want to miss a moment of their experience and growth. You are lucky to have such a wonderful husband and family to step in when you are no longer able to function at full capacity. Hopefully this will be just a blip in time and you'll be running (wishful thinking?) after her in no time. Happy healing thoughts going your way Kelsey. x o

    ReplyDelete