Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Warmth in my heart

I just walked up to Kinnie's room to get my phone, which had fallen from my pocket. I had put her down to bed a few minutes before, and she was still awake. She was quietly looking at the art on her walls, her hands resting on her chest. There is something about the innocence in these moments. I know she is peaceful, taking in the world around her. And there is so much she has yet to learn, to discover. It is a beautiful thing.

We traveled to St. Louis this past weekend so that Kinnie could meet her Great-Grandparents on the McNeill side. Granddad's health has declined in the past few years, and we want to take advantage of every opportunity to see him. And, the chance for Granddad and Grandy to meet Kinnie was priceless.

The travel itself was exhausting. Never again will I take a 6 month old on a two night trip. Unless someone else is paying for it (again). Kinnie was a champ overall, but by the end of day one, was a wreck due to being overtired and overstimulated. There may be some teeth on their way in, too. When we got to the hotel that night, much later than she would usually go to bed, Kinnie cried for over an hour. The next day was better, as we allowed a lot of time for napping. And then the next day, we headed home.

Despite the challenges, I would do the trip all over again. We have some invaluable pictures of Kinnie with her greats. More importantly, I imagine that for them, meeting a member of the next generation of their family means the world. To be able to bring smiles to Grandy and Granddad's faces was worth it all. They are incredible people. Granddad, who has difficulty with movement, reached out to Kinnie several times, once to grab her foot. And though he has some trouble with speech, when we were saying goodbye, he grabbed my hand and Brian's, and thanked us for coming.

Four years ago, Brian and I seriously considered trying to get pregnant. We felt that the chance for our child to meet our grandparents would be worth the interruption in our life paths at the time. Ultimately, we decided not to pursue having a baby at then. I am so grateful that the way it worked out, with the surprise of Kinnie, still allowed for these most important people in our lives to know her, and for her to know them.

No comments:

Post a Comment