Friday, April 15, 2011

The art of change

Changing diapers, that is. Some may want to turn away from this post now, as writing about my baby's bowel habits may be too much information. I was a pro- after all, I've changed probably 20 million diapers in the last nine and a half months. But suddenly, we have gone from the typical infant poo to what I like to call "turdlets." More formed, less soft. And very roll-y. Every time I attempt to take the diaper containing turdlets from under my daughter, they want to roll out of the diaper. Any tips would be appreciated. One escaped this morning, and I didn't even realize it until I picked Kinnie up from the changing table. Sneaky little things.

When I walked into Kinnie's room this morning to get her up, she was sitting there in her crib. That was a first, and a little surprising. Then, later, when I put her down for a nap, she cried more than usual, so I went in to check on her. She was sitting up again, and this time I think she was crying because she was unwilling to lie herself down to have a nap. Because, what baby would choose to have a nap when she knows how to sit up and play in her crib? Certainly not mine. She is increasingly mobile. She can crawl backwards now. And yesterday, for the first time, she stood holding onto the headboard of our bed.

Kinnie is teething and has yet another cold. I think this is cold number 4 or 5. There is a little girl in daycare with her who seems to get sick every other week, and kindly passed it on. Poor baby. Kin had a rough night, and has had a bit of a rough morning, so far. though she is finally asleep now. Yesterday, we curled up on the futon together and watched Sesame Street. It was so sweet. We'd play a little, then catnap a little. Those moments are so precious.

I am reading a book on mindful parenting and found a quote that I love. "Every child that is born really is an incarnation of what is most sacred in life, and we as parents are guardians of the unfolding and flowering of their being and their beauty." Even through the new teeth, the innumerable colds, and rolling poops, I am blessed to have this job.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like the most wonderful job in the world!!!

    ReplyDelete