Wednesday, June 17, 2015

My friend, Eric

My friend Eric died yesterday. His death was so unexpected. I would have never guessed that the last time I gave him a hug would be the last time. 

He worked at the animal hospital where I spent 6 years of my twenties. I remember that he was a bit shy, at first, but soon his true colors shone through. He had headphones on as often as he could, and it turned out we shared a love of rock music. When a show would come through town, we'd make plans to go, or I'd envy him as he decided to go, even if the tickets had to go on a credit card. We would trudge through the long workdays together, along with the rest of the Belcaro family. His laugh was fantastic, and is still so clear in my mind. 

A group of us began to spend more and more time together outside of work, and Eric was always there. I remember going out to Benny's Mexican for a birthday, and after one margarita, Eric fell asleep at the table. I laughed so hard. He was always a lightweight, and always game to party. 

Whenever I was sad, or struggling, I knew Eric felt my struggle, too. He'd give hugs, and try to be there in any way he could. He provided candy galore, and I know that on more than one occasion, I helped myself to his work drawer that was full of snacks. He always said he didn't mind. Because that's the kind of person he was.

As my time to move on from Belcaro came, Eric remained a part of my life. We spent birthdays together, and came up with lots of other reasons to celebrate. Of course, I saw Eric every time I took one of my dogs in to Belcaro, which was frequent. Always, he had a hug for me, and an update about his life. He lived some great adventures in his 40 years.

The last time I was at Belcaro, picking up meds for my dogs, I saw Eric on the lawn walking a dog. I thought about stopping to say hi, to give a hug, and to wish him well. But, I had my two fussing girls with me, and a million things to do. So I didn't turn the corner to go see him, but just went on my way. I figured there would be a million other chances. How I wish I had not taken that moment for granted.

I think Eric had no idea how loved he was. How cherished. He was nonjudgmental, loyal, genuine, heartfelt, funny. He was the best kind of friend. He was accepting, and overlooked my faults. He was a beautiful person. I hope that wherever he is now is as amazing as he is. I wish I could tell him. I wish I could give just one more hug.

Rest in peace, my friend. You will be remembered fondly for as long as I live. I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment