Friday, February 11, 2011

To hear

It seems to be my pattern these days to lie awake in bed in the early morning hours and think. Kinnie is down the hall from our room, and we don't use a monitor. Even so, I generally hear, and awaken for, the slightest peep.

I was thinking this morning about the day Kinnie was born. I was lying on the operating table with some knowledge that behind a curtain hiding my belly, something amazing was happening. The anesthesiologist helped me lift my head so I could see Kinnie as the doctors pulled her from my abdomen. I then had to lie down and wait as the incision was sutured.

I think my ability to hear changed in that moment. I couldn't see what was happening, as Kinnie had been taken somewhere in the half of the room to which my view was blocked. I remember lying there, listening for reassurance that she was okay. Not only was I listening for her little cries, but also to the nurses who were tending to her, to the voices of my mom and husband who were by her side, to insure that there was no worry in the words they said. There I was, with (forgive me) a gaping hole in my abdomen, being stitched up, and I was totally focused on the sounds surrounding my baby.

This morning I was lying in bed, listening to assure that Kinnie was still sleeping soundly. It is amazing how a mother's senses are heightened and changed by the need and desire to protect her children. I had a vague understanding about that instinct, but no idea how powerful it is.

In unrelated news, we have adopted another 4 legged baby. We went to Dumb Friends League last weekend, and picked a few dogs about which we wanted to inquire. When I sat down with the adoption counselor, he informed me that each of the pups we had picked were either aggressive or unfriendly with children. I explained our loss of Fifi, and that we just wanted someone easy going to be a friend to Koda. The counselor suggested we meet a dog named Charlie.

Charlie is fat. And a mutt. I have no idea what he is made of. The DDFL said he is 5 years old, but I think he is closer to 7, based on the way his teeth are worn. He should be about 40 pounds (right now he's more like 50), black on top and tan and white on his face and underside. He has a long tail that curves slightly upward, which is black with a white tip. His ears are floppy, and came with an infection. But, he loves Kinnie. And us. And Koda. Koda is not sure that she loves him yet, but she will. The fact that she tolerates him is a big deal for her. She can be a bit of a cranky old lady.

He has been a good boy, with the exception of one incident involving the diaper pail. And it was funny, the sense I had, as we were going to sleep the first night he was with us- that our house is full again, complete. We miss Fifi, and knowing there's another friend with us warms everything up.

1 comment:

  1. Carter sleeps down the hall from us too, but we do have a monitor (a video one, I tell you that is the funnest investment ever), we just don't use it at night when we could hear him ourselves. It's M's job to take care of him during night hours, so I sleep with earplugs in so I won't hear them get up, if they do. And STILL, with the earplugs in and "off duty" I am the one who wakes up first--last night he was quietly cooing to himself. It was really sweet, and there is no way I can sleep through him being awake.

    ashley

    ReplyDelete