Friday, February 4, 2011

Parenting styles


I had this experience while lying in bed early this morning that has me thinking...

Koda is our 8 year old heeler mix. She is our 4-legged baby, and, until Kinnie came along, the center of my universe. Since the birth of my 2-legged baby, I have worked hard to include Koda, and to reassure her that she is still one of the most important things in my life.

Koda sleeps in our bed. We adopted her when she was a year and a half. She started out sleeping gated in the kitchen. Then, she got a dog bed in our room. Then, she made her way into our bed. I'm not sure how it happened, and I don't mind one bit. There's nothing better than waking in the early morning hours and feeling a warm, soft pup curled up next to you.

Sometimes, in the middle of the night, Koda feels it is necessary to wake me. While still lying by my side, she'll tap me with her paw. If I don't respond, she'll do it again. Usually, when she does it, I pet her for a minute or two, and she and I readjust our positions and go back to sleep. Sometimes, this requires me to move because she decides she wants to lie on top of me.

So, this morning, at about 6, I felt a tap. Koda had crawled up next to me, between Brian and me. She rolled on her side, and I scratched her belly. Apparently, she decided to also paw at Brian- which she usually does not do. I watched him, with his eyes still closed, lift his hand and point to the foot of the bed. Koda got up, moved, lay down on my legs, and went back to sleep.

It was a minor event, routine even. But it made me wonder what it means for how we will parent our 2-legged baby. It seems I go out of my way to comfort- some might say I'm a push-over. And, it seem Brian has some boundaries around his sleep and whether it is to be disturbed. I smile as I wonder...

No comments:

Post a Comment